Gradle action can't run: permissions

I’m trying to create my first pipeline, but appear to be failing at the first step. I’ve got a gradle 5.x project, and I’m trying to use the offical Gradle image from docker (library/gradle).

However, when I try to run the command gradle build gradle crashes, with lack of permissions to create the .gradle directory:

Caused by: org.gradle.api.UncheckedIOException: Failed to create parent directory ‘/home/gradle/buddy/myapp/.gradle/5.1.1’ when creating directory ‘/home/gradle/buddy/myapp/.gradle/5.1.1/fileHashes’`

I believe this is because the image user is gradle and this doesn’t have permission to create the directory. However, within Buddy I’m at a complete loss to remedy this. I can’t su or sudo, Buddy only allows me to add RUN commands on the docker env, not USER commands, so I can’t change the user.

Help! I can’t believe I’m the only one faced this.

So I’ve abandoned the Gradle action, and resorted to the Custom action and just using the gradle wrapper instead. Shame, I’d still like to know if there is a better way to user the Gradle action, but I suppose it doesn’t make much difference.