Gradle action can't run: permissions

I’m trying to create my first pipeline, but appear to be failing at the first step. I’ve got a gradle 5.x project, and I’m trying to use the offical Gradle image from docker (library/gradle).

However, when I try to run the command gradle build gradle crashes, with lack of permissions to create the .gradle directory:

Caused by: org.gradle.api.UncheckedIOException: Failed to create parent directory ‘/home/gradle/buddy/myapp/.gradle/5.1.1’ when creating directory ‘/home/gradle/buddy/myapp/.gradle/5.1.1/fileHashes’`

I believe this is because the image user is gradle and this doesn’t have permission to create the directory. However, within Buddy I’m at a complete loss to remedy this. I can’t su or sudo, Buddy only allows me to add RUN commands on the docker env, not USER commands, so I can’t change the user.

Help! I can’t believe I’m the only one faced this.

So I’ve abandoned the Gradle action, and resorted to the Custom action and just using the gradle wrapper instead. Shame, I’d still like to know if there is a better way to user the Gradle action, but I suppose it doesn’t make much difference.

How do you exactly resolve your problem? I try same what you try to do with commad “gradle test -stacktrace”, and have fallowing problem:

Pulling Docker image library/gradle:latest

EXECUTEgradle test -stacktrace

Welcome to Gradle 5.3.1!

Here are the highlights of this release:

- Feature variants AKA "optional dependencies"

- Type-safe accessors in Kotlin precompiled script plugins

- Gradle Module Metadata 1.0

For more details see https://docs.gradle.org/5.3.1/release-notes.html

Starting a Gradle Daemon (subsequent builds will be faster)

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:

Could not create service of type ScriptPluginFactory using BuildScopeServices.createScriptPluginFactory().

> Could not create service of type CrossBuildFileHashCache using BuildSessionScopeServices.createCrossBuildFileHashCache().

* Try:

Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Exception is:

org.gradle.internal.service.ServiceCreationException: Could not create service of type ScriptPluginFactory using BuildScopeServices.createScriptPluginFactory().

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryMethodService.invokeMethod(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:816)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryService.create(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:749)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$ManagedObjectServiceProvider.getInstance(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:540)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$SingletonService.get(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:597)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryService.assembleParameters(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:762)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryService.create(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:748)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$ManagedObjectServiceProvider.getInstance(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:540)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$SingletonService.get(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:597)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryService.assembleParameters(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:762)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryService.create(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:748)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.find(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:296)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.get(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:280)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.get(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:275)

at org.gradle.initialization.DefaultGradleLauncherFactory.doNewInstance(DefaultGradleLauncherFactory.java:132)

at org.gradle.initialization.DefaultGradleLauncherFactory.newInstance(DefaultGradleLauncherFactory.java:81)

at org.gradle.composite.internal.DefaultRootBuildState.<init>(DefaultRootBuildState.java:45)

at org.gradle.composite.internal.DefaultIncludedBuildRegistry.createRootBuild(DefaultIncludedBuildRegistry.java:85)

at org.gradle.launcher.exec.InProcessBuildActionExecuter.execute(InProcessBuildActionExecuter.java:45)

at org.gradle.launcher.exec.InProcessBuildActionExecuter.execute(InProcessBuildActionExecuter.java:31)

at org.gradle.launcher.exec.BuildTreeScopeBuildActionExecuter.execute(BuildTreeScopeBuildActionExecuter.java:42)

at org.gradle.launcher.exec.BuildTreeScopeBuildActionExecuter.execute(BuildTreeScopeBuildActionExecuter.java:28)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.ContinuousBuildActionExecuter.execute(ContinuousBuildActionExecuter.java:78)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.ContinuousBuildActionExecuter.execute(ContinuousBuildActionExecuter.java:52)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SubscribableBuildActionExecuter.execute(SubscribableBuildActionExecuter.java:59)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SubscribableBuildActionExecuter.execute(SubscribableBuildActionExecuter.java:36)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SessionScopeBuildActionExecuter.execute(SessionScopeBuildActionExecuter.java:68)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SessionScopeBuildActionExecuter.execute(SessionScopeBuildActionExecuter.java:38)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.GradleThreadBuildActionExecuter.execute(GradleThreadBuildActionExecuter.java:37)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.GradleThreadBuildActionExecuter.execute(GradleThreadBuildActionExecuter.java:26)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.ParallelismConfigurationBuildActionExecuter.execute(ParallelismConfigurationBuildActionExecuter.java:43)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.ParallelismConfigurationBuildActionExecuter.execute(ParallelismConfigurationBuildActionExecuter.java:29)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.StartParamsValidatingActionExecuter.execute(StartParamsValidatingActionExecuter.java:60)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.StartParamsValidatingActionExecuter.execute(StartParamsValidatingActionExecuter.java:32)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SessionFailureReportingActionExecuter.execute(SessionFailureReportingActionExecuter.java:55)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SessionFailureReportingActionExecuter.execute(SessionFailureReportingActionExecuter.java:41)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SetupLoggingActionExecuter.execute(SetupLoggingActionExecuter.java:48)

at org.gradle.tooling.internal.provider.SetupLoggingActionExecuter.execute(SetupLoggingActionExecuter.java:32)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.ExecuteBuild.doBuild(ExecuteBuild.java:67)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.BuildCommandOnly.execute(BuildCommandOnly.java:36)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.api.DaemonCommandExecution.proceed(DaemonCommandExecution.java:104)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.WatchForDisconnection.execute(WatchForDisconnection.java:37)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.api.DaemonCommandExecution.proceed(DaemonCommandExecution.java:104)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.ResetDeprecationLogger.execute(ResetDeprecationLogger.java:26)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.RequestStopIfSingleUsedDaemon.execute(RequestStopIfSingleUsedDaemon.java:34)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.ForwardClientInput$2.call(ForwardClientInput.java:74)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.ForwardClientInput$2.call(ForwardClientInput.java:72)

at org.gradle.util.Swapper.swap(Swapper.java:38)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.ForwardClientInput.execute(ForwardClientInput.java:72)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.LogAndCheckHealth.execute(LogAndCheckHealth.java:55)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.LogToClient.doBuild(LogToClient.java:62)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.BuildCommandOnly.execute(BuildCommandOnly.java:36)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.EstablishBuildEnvironment.doBuild(EstablishBuildEnvironment.java:81)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.exec.StartBuildOrRespondWithBusy$1.run(StartBuildOrRespondWithBusy.java:50)

at org.gradle.launcher.daemon.server.DaemonStateCoordinator$1.run(DaemonStateCoordinator.java:295)

at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ExecutorPolicy$CatchAndRecordFailures.onExecute(ExecutorPolicy.java:63)

at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ManagedExecutorImpl$1.run(ManagedExecutorImpl.java:46)

at org.gradle.internal.concurrent.ThreadFactoryImpl$ManagedThreadRunnable.run(ThreadFactoryImpl.java:55)

Caused by: org.gradle.internal.service.ServiceCreationException: Could not create service of type CrossBuildFileHashCache using BuildSessionScopeServices.createCrossBuildFileHashCache().

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryMethodService.invokeMethod(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:816)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryService.create(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:749)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.find(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:296)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.get(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:280)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry.get(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:275)

at org.gradle.internal.service.scopes.BuildScopeServices.defaultScriptPluginFactory(BuildScopeServices.java:311)

at org.gradle.internal.service.scopes.BuildScopeServices.createScriptPluginFactory(BuildScopeServices.java:289)

at org.gradle.internal.reflect.JavaMethod.invoke(JavaMethod.java:103)

at org.gradle.internal.service.ReflectionBasedServiceMethod.invoke(ReflectionBasedServiceMethod.java:34)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryMethodService.invokeMethod(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:814)

... 65 more

Caused by: org.gradle.api.UncheckedIOException: Failed to create parent directory '/buddy/crud-architecture-sample/.gradle' when creating directory '/buddy/crud-architecture-sample/.gradle/5.3.1/fileHashes'

at org.gradle.util.GFileUtils.mkdirs(GFileUtils.java:327)

at org.gradle.cache.internal.DefaultPersistentDirectoryStore.open(DefaultPersistentDirectoryStore.java:75)

at org.gradle.cache.internal.DefaultPersistentDirectoryStore.open(DefaultPersistentDirectoryStore.java:42)

at org.gradle.cache.internal.DefaultCacheFactory.doOpen(DefaultCacheFactory.java:94)

at org.gradle.cache.internal.DefaultCacheFactory.open(DefaultCacheFactory.java:68)

at org.gradle.cache.internal.DefaultCacheRepository$PersistentCacheBuilder.open(DefaultCacheRepository.java:118)

at org.gradle.api.internal.changedetection.state.CrossBuildFileHashCache.<init>(CrossBuildFileHashCache.java:45)

at org.gradle.internal.service.scopes.BuildSessionScopeServices.createCrossBuildFileHashCache(BuildSessionScopeServices.java:164)

at org.gradle.internal.reflect.JavaMethod.invoke(JavaMethod.java:103)

at org.gradle.internal.service.ReflectionBasedServiceMethod.invoke(ReflectionBasedServiceMethod.java:34)

at org.gradle.internal.service.DefaultServiceRegistry$FactoryMethodService.invokeMethod(DefaultServiceRegistry.java:814)

... 80 more

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

I stopped trying to use the offered Gradle action (which uses the Gradle image) and instead used the Custom Build action and ran the build with the gradle wrapper instead (gradlew command) instead. Works fine.

Seems wrong, I don’t understand the point of the Gradle image if I can’t run a build from it.