rSync instead of (S)FTP upload

Hi,

It would be great to have an rSync actions instead of (s)FTP. Saves a lot of time, and this could also help with keeping the file-system in sync (it is a pain that an upload from the file-system does not remove files).

Love buddy so far !

This would be great!.

We we’ve been testing rsync upload from a PHP docker action. And syncing/uploading ~100MB of data takes only 5 seconds instead of 20 minutes with sftp.

One other option would be to have the buddy public/private key available in docker actions. But that’s more of a trick.

A rsync action would “need”:

• access to buddy ssh pub/private key
  • ssh params: user/host/port/(pass)
  • source dir
  • destination dir
  • rsync exclude options
  • option to set rsync params.

Hope this makes any sense!

Love buddy too!

Hi there,

We’re using ‘beam’ for this which is essentially a wrapper for rsync. Beam is an open source deployment tool we developed for deploying websites to servers: https://github.com/heyday/beam - it’s great as a standalone deployment tool, but can also be used within CI/CD tools like Buddy. It works with a JSON formatted config file stored in the project where you can store things like file excludes and targets [servers]. A few of the Beam safeguard features don’t really apply when running beam within the Buddy environment - like locking a target to a git branch, defaulting to deployments from a temp directory, but these can be overridden with command line params.

To use within a pipeline just add a PHPUnit Docker action which gives you a PHP environment. Then configure as follows:

Add this to the Packages & Setup Commands (you can also delete the phpunit install):
# Install Beam
curl https://getbeam.io/installer -O; php installer
mv beam /usr/local/bin/beam

In the Run Commands section add:
echo “Host *\n\tStrictHostKeyChecking no” >> /root/.ssh/config
beam self-update
beam up [target] --no-prompt --working-copy

You’ll also need to generate an SSH key called id_rsa as a Buddy environment variable (either for the pipeline, project or workspace) - this’ll allow the SSH access that rsync requires once you’ve added the associated public key to your server’s authorised_keys file.

You can also pass in rsync parameters.

We have it working great for us and file deployments are significantly faster given it’s using rsync.

Thanks for the info Shane… We will definitely have a look !

ps (Always good to meet a fellow Silverstriper in weird places… :wink: )

I second a rsync option. However, I got beam after a little time struggling to see why it wouldn’t run beam in a subdirectory. Turns out I had to have the beam.json in the directory I wanted to run it in otherwise it would traverse up directories until it found a beam.json file and use the directory it was in for the rsync.

Hey guys! Thanks for your contribution, awesome work! FYI, we’re going to add a dedicated rsync action to the file transfer list if you’d like to use it instead of (S)FTP to save you the hassle.

PS. @lars-lemon8 “weird places?” What do you mean by “weird places?” :wink:

@Kivlov , great news, Thanks!

ps(Weird , but interesting ! :wink:

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but I was wondering why the rsync option requires me to upload a new ssh key instead of offering to use buddy’s key (in the dropdown) in the same way the sftp option does?

@ken, the thing is that buddy key contains the passphrase and it’s not possible to pass it in the non-interactive mode.
However, we’ll add such option soon.